Elder law encompasses many areas of the law which impact older adults. Attorneys who practice elder law have the unique ability to advise their clients about a variety of issues faced by their elderly clients and those who wish to assist them.
Here are some examples of the types of issues we can assist you with:
- Advance planning for long-term-care which can protect assets and also allow elders to stay at home for as long as possible while receiving needed care or assistance.
- Estate planning to ensure documents are in place to allow trusted friends or family members to act on the elder’s behalf if and when necessary.
- Review of long term care insurance policies.
- Crisis planning if a family member requires nursing home care.
- Planning to obtain eligibility for Medicaid or other benefits where appropriate, including the preparation of Medicaid applications.
- Working in cooperation with other professionals, such as geriatric care managers, to devise a plan that will allow an elder to live in a place of her choice with appropriate supports to enhance the quality of life and respect the elder’s choices.
- Paying for long-term care.
We are active members of the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA).
We maintain referral networks by which we help clients find geriatric care managers experienced at assisting in locating benefits and implementing care plans to keep elders at home, as well as financial, tax, insurance, and other professionals.
To learn more about Elder Law read Attorney Maria C. Baler’s article, Five Services an Elder Law Attorney Can Provide.
To schedule an appointment contact Samuel, Sayward & Baler LLC by phone at 781/461-1020 or by email using our Contact form.